Peckham, Inc. Apparel Sewing Machine Operator - Charlotte, MI in Charlotte, Michigan
Thank you for your interest in Peckham Inc.
We are a nonprofit vocational rehabilitation organization, providing vocational rehabilitation and training opportunities for people with significant disabilities, and/or other barriers to employment. On this application, you will see an eligibility for services questionnaire. Please pay special attention when completing this section of your application. Information you provide here will help determine if you are eligible for job training at Peckham.
For much of the vocational rehabilitation and training that we do, Peckham Inc. participates in the AbilityOne program, which is a federal program where the government sets aside contracts for companies who hire people with disabilities. If applying for vocational rehabilitation and training under an AbilityOne program, you will be asked to provide documentation of your disability from a qualified professional (physician, psychologist, or psychiatrist). We request that you bring this documentation to your interview, if possible.
If you are not eligible for vocational rehabilitation and training under the AbilityOne program, then your application may be referred to Peckham Diversified with your consent. Peckham Diversified has opportunities for vocational rehabilitation and training for people who may not have a disability, but have other barriers to employment. All positions require an eligibility interview at which time the intake specialist will describe additional program requirements.
Apparel Sewing Machine Operator
This entry level Apparel Sewing Machine Operator position is responsible for the accurate alignment of fabric, garments, and materials under needles using marks on machines, clamps, templates, cloth and notches as guides. This position guides garments or garment parts under machine needles and presser foot pedals to sew parts together. This position handles garments; folding, bagging, labeling, using scissors to trim threads, threading and tying hangers, zipper pulls or plastic cord locks.
- Operate single needle sewing machines to perform basic sewing steps that automatically join, reinforce or decorate material or articles, such as Velcro, webbing, labels or tags. – Daily
- Operate basic automated and/or bartacking (PLK) machines to perform basic sewing steps that automatically join, reinforce or decorate material or articles, such as Velcro, webbing, cord or labels. – Daily
- Align fabric, garments and materials under needles using marks on machines, clamps, templates, jigs, cloth and notches as guides. - Daily
- Align material pieces in correct order prior to sewing and verify that dye lots and patterns match. - Daily
- Guide garments or garment parts under machine needles, clamps, and feet, using presser hand or foot pedals to sew parts together. – Daily
- Place cord, spools of thread or other materials on spindles, insert bobbins, thread ends through machine guides and thread needles as necessary. – Daily
- Trim excess threads from garments after sewing, using scissors, nippers, or automatic trimming machines. – Daily
- Select supplies such as fasteners and thread to meet job requirements. – Daily
- Prepare garments for packaging; folding, tagging garments with fastener gun, placing in bags, labelling bags, placing bags in bins. – As Needed
- Inspect garments and check repair tags on garments to locate defects or damage. Repair mistakes or mark quality issues as necessary. – Daily
- Observe machine operations and identify problems such as defective stitching, breaks in thread or machine malfunctions and report such defects to supervisors or mechanics. – As Needed
- Work with supervisor towards meeting performance standards. – Daily
- Maintain a safe and clean work environment. – Daily
- Practice LEAN principles and 5S concepts – Daily
- Support ISO-9000 and Peckham, Inc. Quality Management Systems requirements.
- Support Peckham Inc’s vision, value, culture, and commitment to excellent customer services to all customers and stakeholders. – Daily
- Other related duties as assigned
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to communicate information and ideas so others will understand.
Knowledge of numbers and the ability to count.
Ability to apply common sense and an understanding to carry out instructions provided.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use fingers, hands, arms and legs to handle or feel. The employee frequently is required to sit and reach with hands and arms. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include color vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
This position will move to other work areas as business requires.
Person needs to have the ability to ask questions and voice concerns in relation to work and work environment.
*Peckham Inc. provides equal opportunities and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, disability, genetic information, height, weight, marital status, veteran status, or any other protected characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. *
3510 Capital City Blvd.
Lansing, MI. 48906
0First Shift (United States of America)
- Posted 16 Days Ago
Worker Sub-Type: Team Member
Location: Charlotte, MI
Business Line: Manufacturing
Time Type: Scheduled Weekly Hours: