United States Steel Shift Manager I - Operations in Ecorse, Michigan
10685BRJob Description:The Shift Manager - Operations position is responsible for utilizing a hands-on approach to effectively deal with technical and non-technical issues related to production by recognizing potential problems and making critical decisions with little input from other managers. Additionally, this role will be directing the safe, efficient, and economical operation of the facility, and coordinating activities of workers engaged in overseeing the operation. Qualified candidates must be able to effectively engage teams and promote an environment of respect, communication, and collaboration through two-way communication and encouraging new ideas and different perspectives that drive individual, team, and company success.
• Administer the U. S. Steel safety program to ensure a safe work environment, including proper housekeeping.
• Coordinate, organize, and direct activities of the operating crew.
• Supervise union employees and work closely with vendors and contractors.
• Monitor all steps of the operation to ensure Standard Quality and Operating Practices and guidelines are being followed.
• Reduce unit downtime and improve performance of facility equipment.
• Develop and implement operating methods and procedures designed to eliminate operating problems and improve product quality.
• Plan and direct production activities for products in keeping with effective operations and cost factors.
• Implementation of the production plan by coordinating material movement and equipment operation to meet customer specifications – including quality and delivery requirements.
• Assist workers in diagnosing malfunctions in machinery and equipment.
• Devise and implement cost saving strategies.
• Perform administrative activities such as scheduling crews, completing production reports, conducting safety conversations, and compiling other reporting as necessary.
• Due to the nature of our business, our facilities operate 24 hours/day, 7 days/week, 365 days/year. Therefore, this position may require rotating shift work, as well as weekend and/or holiday work
• H.S. Diploma or GED required
• Minimum 2 years work experience supervising crews required.
• Experience working rotating shifts, which will include extended workdays, weekends, and holidays preferred.
• Prior experience in a union environment or similar military leadership experience is a plus.Auto req ID:10685BRRequisition Type:US-ExemptPosting Title:Shift Manager Finishing DepartmentState/Province:US - MIWork Location - City:Ecorse Company Overview:Steel is essential to advancing modern society. In fact, countless aspects of our lives wouldn’t be possible without it. From state-of-the-art household appliances and safer, more fuel-efficient automobiles — to steel framing that makes our homes stronger and tubular products that support the development of our nation’s energy resources — our products build quality of life for people around the world. U. S. Steel is on an exciting transformational journey to become the iconic corporation — a company set apart from the competition through the talent of our people, the quality of our product, and the strength of our performance. We are seeking talented, motivated people to help us create the next generation of U. S. Steel, known for consistently out-performing the competition, delivering superior returns, and creating value for our customers as a world-class supplier of innovative steel products and solutions.Preferred Skills:• Knowledge of electrical or mechanical maintenance in a heavy manufacturing environment.
• Bachelor's in Engineering, Operations Management, Business Management, Industrial Technology or similar field.Competency Summary:Think: Think Critically and Drive Change
Lead: Develop Talent and Collaborate
Do: Empower Performance and Deliver ResultsEqual Employment Opportunity:U. S. Steel is a principled company committed to its core values of safety, diversity & inclusion, environmental stewardship, results focus & accountability. We focus on our customers, driving quality and ensuring cost effectiveness. We promote an environment of respect, transparency and collaboration – encouraging new ideas that drive innovation and our collective success. U. S. Steel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) according to job qualifications without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, age, genetics, sexual orientation, sex, gender identity, disability status or status as a protected Veteran or any other legally protected group status.
(California residents may visit www.ussteel.com/CANotice for information regarding collection of personal information and U. S. Steel's privacy practices.)Job Category:Manufacturing & Production Diversity Commitment:UNITED BY STEEL - We are committed to fostering an inclusive workplace culture and celebrate the diversity of our employees. We are all responsible to live these principles and lead by example as we prioritize the physical and psychological safety of every team member.