Styron Technician III (R&D, Midland Pilot Coater) in Midland, Michigan
Technician III (R&D;, Midland Pilot Coater)
The* Technician III* will act as part of the Midland pilot coater team to carry out successful customer trials by reliably preparing formulations, operating pilot coating and finishing equipment, preparing samples as well as other trial related tasks (support processes such as material handling, waste management, housekeeping, machine maintenance). The core part of this job is the generation of reliable and high quality data used for decision making by TS&D; engineers and customers. The selected candidate will play an integral role in the successful technology simulation while giving feedback on application performance by using knowledge of the capabilities/limitations of equipment and techniques.
The technologist will operate pilot equipment designed to simulate actual paper mill coating and finishing processes. As a result, the technologist position is a physically demanding job requiring a strong commitment to Trinseo’s EH&S; processes of yourself and the joint team members. The work environment is challenging as a result of the close customer interface which is an inherent part of successful trials. This role is specifically to identify a candidate to run the wet end of the pilot coater.
An important aspect of this job is to integrate well into a diverse team. Effective communication between the pilot coater staff, the TS&D; engineer, and with the customers visiting for trials is a key requirement. Within this environment, there is also an expectation that the candidate will help others to be successful by proactively sharing personal knowledge with them.
Cross training in the application labs is also an important element of this role.
The position is located in Midland, MI.
*KEY RESPONSIBILITIES: *
- Prepare coatings colors, coating application trials, calendering trials and generates test results to provide and support technical solutions for:
- Product and application development
- Technical service
- Product qualification and trials
- When working in lab and pilot settings, implement and follow global test methods and standard operating procedures.
- Understand the value of high quality data and utilizes Good Laboratory Practices (or equivalent) to generate data. Interpret the results of trials and experiments and documents according to Trinseo standards.
- Develop in-depth technical knowledge relevant to pilot coating and finishing capability & latex binders business.
- Give feedback on runnability conditions of the piloting processes based on gained expertise.
- Use technical skills and knowledge / expertise of the pilot coater work procedures and contributes to successful trials. Identify improvement opportunities within the different piloting processes.
- Leverage experiences from other team members into different workplaces. Prepare credible data and information to promote the leveraging out of experiences from one trial condition to other customer or development trials. Communicate effectively with other team members on process technology and safe operating procedures.
- Is responsible for maintenance and calibration of equipment.
- Use and understand existing information technology needs. Optimize electronic data storage and information sharing within the pilot coater team, in line with Trinseo record retention procedures.
- Understand the group objectives and the business or group’s strategy and is an important contributor to the technical solutions that result in trial success. Independent decision making is required with ideas presented and discussed within the team.
- Apply essential know-how on safe operation of experimentation and on stewardship processes, and implement these to Trinseo standards. Is responsible for sending, storing and safe handling of samples according to safety guidelines.
- Skill development as necessary to fulfil additional roles including paper lab testing and support.
- Technical Knowledge : Uses understanding of the capabilities of our piloting equipment, is able do manually skilled work in a multidisciplinary team and seeks for permanent improvement of working quality and efficiency. Develop and apply experience and expertise of paper coating technology. Is able to operate, maintain and eventually repair with help of specialists piloting equipment. Provide feedback on practical processes related to coating color make down, coating, coating finishing or logistics application.
- Scientific Method : Develops and uses Trinseo work processes/methodology to work independently or leads projects to solve technical issues within our pilot coater team. Generates, observes details, and reports quality data. Recognizes unexpected results and seeks coaching to resolve.
- Intellectual Capital : Utilizes information integrity principles to properly classify, store and protect intellectual capital. Performs accurate record keeping on projects and tasks, including proper use of databooks and knowledge management systems; records details of experimentation so that work may be readily reproduced by others; demonstrates accuracy and attention to detail
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
Education; Minimum High School diploma/GED or equivalent. Candidate may have college degree or equivalent combination of education and experience. A post-secondary education technology qualification is required (i.e. a job related vocational/associates degree/certificate or trades curriculum, a laboratory apprenticeship, or mechanical, electronics or other manual materials processing apprenticeship).
Experience: 5-10 years of experience working with or running process operation equipment or related experience preferred
- Advanced office skills including Microsoft applications
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize work activities
- Ability to be proactive and take initiative
Location: US-MI, Midland