U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Maintenance Worker Helper (Standing Register) in Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan
Looking for a great place to work? The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is one of the best! In 2016, USACE ranked number two of government large-agency subcomponents! As rated by their employees, USACE supervisors strongly support employee development and opportunities to demonstrate leadership skills, while also maintaining an optimal work/life balance. The Corps offers a team-inspiring and collaborative work environment; providing challenging and rewarding careers across a variety of disciplines.
Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills that are not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations. The Army integrates the talents and skills of its military and civilian members to form a Total Army.
About the Position: Works individually or as a member of a general maintenance crew performing a variety of trades or crafts associated with general maintenance and repair functions. This is a Standing Register [Open Continuous] Job Announcement that is expected to be used to fill short-term 120 day or more temporary, full time, seasonal positions when requested.Seasonal employment means annually recurring periods of work less than twelve (12) months each year. For Department of Defense Agencies Only: A Temporary Appointment may not exceed 12 months and may be extended in increments of up to 1 year for a total of 3 years as per Office of the Under Secretary of Defense Memorandum dated 12-JUN-2017.
NOTE: You will be notified if/when a vacancy occurs and your application is reviewed for referral consideration.If selected for a temporary position, and not currently residing in the local commuting area of the position's duty location, you must be willing to relocate to the commuting area within 30 days of accepting the tentative job offer. Relocation expenses will not be paid or reimbursed. Employer-sponsored housing is not available and will not be authorized. It is your responsibility to keep your application package up-to-date (your application will remain active for 90 days only, if still interested, you must continue to apply every 90 days), and verify that the documents submitted are accurate and contain the required information needed to conduct a qualifications review.
Who May Apply: US Citizens
Learn more about this agency
Mixes concrete in correct proportions operating a mixer. Erects forms and finishes concrete as required with wood, floats, trowels, and bow-floats.
Performs routine carpentry work by measuring and cutting lumber to proper dimensions; piles, sorts, and carries lumber and hardware to job sites.
Performs maintenance duties including loading and unloading pipe, rebar cement, fender timbers, building materials etc., by hand or operating forklifts.
Paints building, equipment and structures using brushes and rollers, not involving fine finish work, removes old paint and rust from surfaces using paint removers, scraper and blowtorch, cleans brushes and equipment, and cleans work area of spattered paint.
Assists higher graded mechanic in the maintenance & repair of lock miter gates, tainter valves, fender booms, and all associated mechanical and hydraulic machinery. Assists in repairing and maintaining lubrication systems, hydraulic system, valves, oil seals, and bearings.
Assists higher graded mechanic in maintenance and repair of steam plant, steam distribution system, air compressors and associated air distribution lines. Assists with plumbing repairs.
Repairs and maintains heating equipment and auxiliary mechanisms.
Repairs steam regulators, gages, valves, etc.
Occasional travel - Up to 10% TDY Business Travel may be required
- #### Job family (Series)
4749 Maintenance Mechanic
- Installation Workers, All Other
- Installation, Maintenance, And Repair Workers, All Other
- Maintenance Workers, All Other
- Repair Workers, All Other
- Workers, Installation, All Other
Workers, Maintenance, All Other
Conditions of Employment
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Appointment is subject to the completion of a favorable suitability or fitness determination.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
- May be subject to random drug screening
- Pre-employment physical may be required.
- Pre-employment drug screening may be required.
- If selected, you must be at least 18 years old by your first official workday.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
There is no specific length of training or experience required. However, you must be able to demonstrate, through experience shown in your written application materials that you possess the sufficient knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the work of this position without more than normal supervision.
Minimum Qualifications (Screen Out Element): Ability to do the work of an Maintenance Worker Helper (Standing Register) without more than normal supervision. Duties include, carpentry, electrical, painting, plumbing, engine repair, and concrete work as well as ground maintenance. - Failure to meet this Screen out Element will result in an ineligible rating.
- Ability To Do The Work Of The position Without More Than Normal Supervision
- Ability to Interpret Instructions, Specification, etc. (other than blueprints)
- Ability To Use and Maintain Tools and Equipment
- Knowledge of Equipment Assembly, Installation, Repair, etc.
- Technical Practices (theoretical, precise, artistic)
- Physical Effort: This position requires a high degree of physical fitness and dexterity to safely accomplish moderate to heavy physical task. Employee performs frequent lifting and carrying of objects 30 to 50 lbs. Infrequent lifting and limited carrying of objects up to 180 lbs. Infrequent lifting, moving, pulling, or jerking of objects (30 to 100 lbs.) in limited or cramped space which may cause greater strain and physical efforts. Work includes the use of heavy tools such as jackhammers and powered saws. Work requires climbing interior and exterior stairways, vertical ladder ways, walking long distances, standing, bending, and crouching in position.
- Working Conditions: Work is performed outdoors in all kinds of weather conditions and indoor areas that may be dusty, oily, drafty, and noisy. Position requires working for extended periods in small compartments, passageways, and recesses below ground level. Employee works on scaffolding or from heights up to 58 feet. During winter months employee is subject to adverse conditions of snow and ice. Rest periods are taken in heated shelters. Equipment and tools require special care and attention to avoid injury. Work subjects employee to strains, cuts, scratches, bruises, and broken bones.
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- You may claim military spouse preference.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Recruitment or Relocation Incentive will not be authorized.
- Shift work and work on Weekends/Holidays may be required.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
Basis for Rating: Qualified candidates will be assigned to one of three quality categories: Best Qualified, Highly Qualified and Qualified. Veteran preference eligibles are listed ahead of non-preference eligibles within each quality category.
- Best Qualified. Candidates in this category possess exceptional skills and experience to exceed well above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Highly Qualified. Candidates in this category possess good skills and experience above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Qualified. Candidates in this category meet the minimum experience requirements for the announced position.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP). If you are a Federal employee in the competitive service and your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority. To receive selection priority for this position, you must: (1) meet ICTAP eligibility criteria; (2) be rated well-qualified for the position with a score of 90 or above; and, (3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your ICTAP eligibility. Additional information about the program is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website.
Background checks and security clearance
- Required Documents
The documents you are required to submit vary based on whether or not you are eligible for preference in federal employment. A complete description of preference categories and the associated required documents is in the Applicant Checklist (External).
As described above, your complete application includes your resume, your responses to the online questionnaire, and documents which prove your eligibility to apply.* If you fail to provide these documents, you will be marked as having an incomplete application package and you will not be considered any further.*
- Your resume may be submitted in any format.
- If you submit more than one copy of your resume, only the most recent version will be reviewed. The latest timestamp will be used to determine which version of your resume is "most recent." It is your responsibility to check the status and timestamp of all documents you submit as part of your application.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, it will not be used to make eligibility and qualification determinations and you may not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualifications determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and the dates of employment (i.e., HRS per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application will be marked as incomplete and you will not receive consideration for this position.
NOTE: Documents submitted as part of the application package, to include supplemental documents, may be shared beyond the Human Resources Office. Some supplemental documents such as military orders and marriage certificates may contain personal information for someone other than you. You may sanitize these documents to remove another person's personal information before you submit your application. You may be asked to provide an un-sanitized version of the documents if you are selected to confirm your eligibility.
Review our benefits
- How to Apply
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 12/31/2018 to receive consideration
- To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire (https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10117962).
- Click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application package.
- It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date.
- To verify your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, select the Application Status link and then select the more information link for this position. The Details page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- To return to an incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
- It is your responsibility to verify that your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) is complete, accurate, and submitted by the closing date. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan.
The Department of Army provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the servicing civilian personnel unit. Your requests for reasonable accommodation will be addressed on a case-by-case basis.
Agency contact information
Army Applicant Help Desk
GJ-APF-W2SM07 US ARMY ENGINEER DISTRICT, DETROIT DO NOT MAIL Louisville, KY 40201 US
Learn more about this agency
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application. Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
The documents you submit must support your responses to the online questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of "not qualified" or "incomplete application" and you will not receive further consideration for this job.
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/489069700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 01/19/2018 to 12/31/2018
Salary: $23.70 to $27.67 per hour
Pay scale & grade: WY 5
Work schedule: Full-Time
Appointment type: Temporary - 1 Year