Cosma International CNC Operator in Sterling Heights, Michigan
Magna Powertrain is a premier supplier for the global automotive industry with full capabilities in powertrain design, development, testing and manufacturing. Offering complete system integration sets us apart from our competitors. A division of Magna International, MPT Sterling Heights is a Tier-One automotive supplier that machines and assembles metal formed powertrain components.
The CNC Operator is responsible for running the CNC machine to manufacture quality parts as directed within an acceptable time frame to assist the organization in meeting the customer’s requirements and to perform the assigned task in a safe manner.
- Operate CNC machine independently with minimal supervision.
- Must make minor offset adjustments and/or tool changes.
- Troubleshoot on the CNC horizontal and vertical mill, lathe and perform setups and tool changes as required.
- Monitor tool life.
- Check parts and place them on the equipment or gauging stations correctly.
- Report any problems to Team Leader in a manner that reflects the urgency of the problem.
- Able to operate on line gauging and understand the readings.
- Meet production requirements in a timely/efficient manner.
- Recommend and initiate changes to continuously improve processes and tooling.
- Fill out production sheets and all other production related documents as required and monitor SPC/quality and document updates.
- Proper housekeeping of your work cell at all times.
- Additional duties assigned by the General Manager or his designees
Knowledge and Education
- High school diploma or GED
- Mechanical aptitude in CNC Machining.
- 2 years' experience in a CNC automotive manufacturing environment.
- Advanced knowledge of machining fundamentals i.e. turning, milling.
- Previous experience on CNC machine controls i.e.; tool offsets/changes, program changeovers.
- Must have good shop math skills.
- Must be able to interpret a blue print
- Knowledge of hand tools and assembly processes.
- Knowledge of measuring equipment, basic SPC, and safety legislation.
- Responsible for production numbers.
- Working knowledge of English (both written and oral).
- Good communication skills (written and verbal).
- Demonstrates creativity, initiative, and problem solving skills.
- Team oriented work approach.
- Ability to work overtime or alternate shifts as required.
- Good attendance and performance record.
Skills and Competencies
Language Skills: Ability to read and write and comprehend instructions in English and correspondence such as safety rules and operating instructions. Ability to document forms as required by position.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio and percent.
Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of AS400 and ability to use bar code labeling system.
Reasoning Skills: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- General good health to meet fast pace environment and production standards.
- Required to spend 95% of day standing and walking around floor.
- PPE Required - Steel Toed shoes non slip and oil resistant, safety glasses with side shields, and ear protection
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, speak, listen and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and color vision.
Group: Magna Powertrain
Division: Magna Powertrain Sterling Heights
City: Sterling Heights
Job Type: Regular